2010/04/24

Snes on FPGA Information.

Some of my friends asked me how I could get those screens without having a CPU yet...

Yes, he is right.
What I did is that I wrote a DLL which is plugged into Snes9x.
That DLL tracks every register write to the PPU.

When the "screenshot" feature of Snes9x is called, I also dump the VRAM/CGRAM and all the registers directly into a VHDL program, then I recompile the complete chip and test that particular state.

It is an annoying and lengthy process, as I recompile the chip and resend it to the board,
it takes between 2 to 3 minutes to update a new design, when you also add the time to copy the files from some place to another etc... It is very annoying.

So now I am working on using my serial port and have my DLL do a direct transfer of the VRAM, register states to the chip without recompiling the design.

That is going to be a big plus, it will shorten the debugging time, but also allow me to modify the registers in real time and see if everything is fine.

PS : I forgot to say in my previous post that mosaic is also working nicely.

No comments: